Skip Navigation Links
Home
About Us
Truss DivisionExpand Truss Division
Packaging DivisionExpand Packaging Division
125 Year Company History
Factory Location
Contact Us
Skip Navigation Links
Introduction
Coming to America
Hard Work
Persistence
Second Generation
Great Depression
Home Front
Postwar World
Big Flood
Turning Point
Rebuilding
New Location
New Technology
Leadership for the Future
The Second Generation Emerges
Even after Eugene Villaume became prosperous, he decided to stay on the West Side rather than move to a more fashionable area of the city. In 1895, he and his wife built a new Queen Anne style home. As might be expected, the interior was filed with beautiful wood. It was fortunate that this home had five bedrooms because the Villaume children, even when adults, lived there for a time. The 1905 Polk Directory for St. Paul listed them all as boarders. They and their jobs at Villaume were identified in this way: Alfred, vice president; Charles, city salesman; Frank, treasurer; Julius, clerk; and Louis, clerk.
 Starting before World War I and continuing through the 1920s, most of the Villaume children built houses on the adjoining lots that had been parceled out to them.
 Business stayed good in the 1920s, even when Villaume's biggest clients saw their sales slide because of national prohibition. Many of the St. Paul breweries turned to the production of soft drinks or the legal "near beer." Consequently the box business remained a most important part of the Villaume line.
 The skill that Villaume employees demonstrated in turning out special millwork fixtures helped make Villaume products stand out. The Villaume Company was well known for its manufacturing of paneling and cabinets and for the custom wood fixtures that it produced for churches, hospitals, and schools. Some of the work that Villaume did for local churches included pews that the company made for Hamline University Church and the panel work and trim that it produced for St. Luke's and St. Steven's churches in St. Paul, Nazareth Hall in Lake Johanna, and St. Mary's of the Lake in White Bear. Some of the company's most outstanding work was done for St. Paul businesses and the owners of several elegant houses in the area. One of their signature homes was Louis Hill's Swiss Chalet in North Oaks, which was built with specially selected redwood. In downtown St. Paul, Van Duyhne-Moran Fixture Company, a Villaume subsidiary, milled and installed mahogany doors and trim on the top twenty-five floors of the First National Bank. They also made the fixtures and interior trim for the Northern States Power Company's downtown St. Paul office building, the Lowry Medical Arts Annex, and the Field- Schlick department store .